Wednesday, March 23, 2011

AFC Challenge Cup: Philippines vs Myanmar Update 2


1—1
Myanmar vs Philippines

Finally saw the delayed telecast of the match and here are the numbers:
Myanmar

Philippines
1st Half
2nd Half

1st Half
2nd Half
0
1
Goals
0
1
11
2
Shots Taken
5
14
6
1
Shots on Target
3
8
4
1
Corner
0
4
2
0
Offside
2
0
1
1
Free Kick
2
2
0
0
Yellow Card
0
0
0
1
Red Card
0
0

I separated the figures of the 1st half from the 2nd half so you can see how the game changed from after halftime.  The numbers confirmed how the Azkals had a slow start, not having a lot of chances and were mainly defending the shots of Myanmar.  And you’ll see in the 2nd half, they seem to pick up their game and become more offensive. Btw, the figures for shots taken & on target came from my count, it actually does not match ABS-CBN's which is Myanmar-15 and Philippines-11 for Shot Attempts.  Dunno if mine are accurate..

Goals:
            76th minute – James Younghusband (Philippines)
            90th + 3 minute – Khin Maung Lwin (Myanmar)

Red Cards:
            Kyaw Zin Htet (Myanmar)


I know this is 2 days too late and there have been a lot of news/reports on this game, but here are my two cents on this match (if you’re interested):


1)   I finally saw the player from La Liga (albeit from the lower divisions), Aldeguer (that’s the name he used on his jersey), play.  This towering figure up front is surprisingly fast for a huge guy.  He has amazing dribbling skills.
2)   I never really saw Etheridge play coz I missed the Suzuki Cup games and he never really got to strut his stuff in the 1st Leg of the Mongolia match.  And from this game, I can see he’s quite impressive, specially in the 1st half.  He’s a commanding presence at the back, kinda reminds me of Casillas.  And, did you notice his hands??  I bet they’re quite big… he can hold a football with one hand… I dunno if it’s because of the gloves? But I rarely see goalies do this.  And you know what they say about guys with big hands… they need big gloves... ;D
3)   I was a bit worried that many of the foreign players are coming in hours or a day before matches and not really getting to practice/train with the team.  But we actually had great teamwork, there were some great passes within the team (kinda, like the Spanish possession type of play, but of course, I’m not saying it’s at that level yet).  I guess the Myanmar defense was just really organized and sometimes our offense just needs a little push to create the chances.
4)   We had a “physique” advantage to this game.  Comparing the Myanmar players to the Mongolians, they were obviously smaller/shorter.  We had players who are 6ft plus in height like Aldeguer, Borromeo, Younghusband and Etheridge.  I remember when it was the Philippines who were considered the small players.
5)   I love how we have players who are older than 35 years old.  And they even give the young ones a run for their money.  So those guys out there who are going into their 30s, you can still play for the Azkals, if you're good, that is. :P
6)   Also, finally saw the Barsalaes tackle… OMFG!  That was one scary tackle.  Studs up, to the face.  Ouch!
7)   And finally… the last goal of the game.  Even though I already know the outcome, and I already knew when the last goal would be scored, it was still heartbreaking to watch it.  Because seeing how the Azkals played the 2nd half, there were so many chances for them to actually score a second goal… but… such is football.

No comments:

Post a Comment